Saturday, November 17, 2012

Amazing moments that transpired so far on my 27th year



Amazed.
 Alternate title: My first semester as a part-time instructor in a college situated in a non-urban environment

Also: How life has been so far, for the first whole year (it’s not actually a year but I feel like it has been) that I spent in a non-urban environment

I know I do this all the time. I come to you and delight in you and then I leave you because I become too busy with my life. But remember this, you’re always in my mind.


Chos. What a cheesy line to this blog –an allegory to Writing and to the Lord who gave me Writing. Yeah. I’ve never written a single thing since the last blog entry. There are always huge gaps in the timeline of my entries. I know. Work is no excuse if I want to remain true to what I have to do. Chos. Work is also not an excuse that I haven’t paused from the everyday tasks that I do for even just a single moment to actually listen to God’s voice. I haven’t read my Bible as regularly as I did before I got a job. Sorry, po.

And so here I am again, trying to redeem myself to Writing and the Lord who gave me Writing. And like I always do, forgive me, but I shall once again start with a summary of the things that has happened since the last time I’ve actually paused and listened to my soul and the Lord having a meaningful conversation. 

Before everything else, let me say, “Thank you, gid, Lord, for all these things you have let me experience.”

The Joy of Teaching Non-English Subjects


Unpublished, un-posted poster for my Educ 202 Roleplay. Just wanna make it! LOL.

  Well, the months of my first semester of teaching zoomed fast with the many lessons, activities and events filling my time.  June, July and August were amazing as I think I did my very best in teaching and enjoyed myself splendidly in discovering and learning new things with my students. It is really refreshing because of the eight teaching loads that was given to me, only one of them was English – Eng 102: Study and Thinking Skills. Three of them are Educ 202: Social Dimensions of Education, two classes are Psy 101: General Psychology and another two are HELE: Livelihood and Non-Formal Education.

I was like, “WT??” when I received my assignment sheet containing all these SS and Educ subjects, but my Subject Chair (English) told me, when I asked her if there was some sort of mistake, looking very confused indeed, well, she told me that this is it for now because all the other English subjects had been already distributed to other English teachers before we part-timers were hired.  

BEEd students from my Educ 202 class, during a Roleplay on Gender Development.
So there, I had taught and greatly enjoyed teaching Social Dimensions of Education which is a lot like Sociology, only applied in the Educational sense. This subject, because it deals with people and how people behave and interact with each other, I learned, has a better grip on the students’ interest than my grammar lessons with previous classes before, because of course, in this course the kids can actually relate to the lesson simply by observing on what is going on around them. We’ve had many an afternoon spent debating on whether girls achieve better grades than boys and whether it is acceptable or not to have a child without marrying than actually marrying and not being happy with your husband/wife. It’s amazing to discover that many of my male students have conservative views about this particular subject and that many female students are brazenly outspoken with their liberalist views. I am most amazed at how one question can erupt into a frenzy of sharp words exchanged among the my Education students. I only wish I have done my best in shaping their thoughts, and hope that they can graduate and become better teachers than I am. 
Me and my BEEd 2-B students after their roleplay (final project).

And I also enjoyed teaching Psychology where I taught the freshmen about Lolo Freud and Tiyoy Carl Jung, which they also rather enjoyed immensely. Favorite moments were when they learned, aghast, that swimming in a pool or sharing a towel with their boyfriend, won’t actually put them in danger of getting pregnant. Kids here are really far, far different from the kids in the city when it comes to what they value the most. Most of the kids under me come from families who can barely support their education and it’s kind of sad sometimes to think that some of the sharpest minds in my class could actually have gotten better opportunities in a better university, say, like the main campus (not that I doubt the capabilities of my co-teachers, just that I know we lack facilities and other learning tools that could have greatly helped both teachers and students), or some other university or college. But, like me, we all just strive to do the best with what we are currently given. 

Fourth year students from my HELE class in their own roleplay.
That’s just what I put in mind. It’s not exactly contentment, nor resignation. With them, I also hope to see a better future for education. 


Many Firsts this Year

A view of the Philippine Carabao Center across the WVSU-CC ricefields.
This year also saw many firsts for me. Maybe the most major one is this is my first time to actually stay put in Lambunao for a long time—I’ve been here since March of 2012 (sounds like so long ago, right?) and well, my everyday routine of going to school commuting by bus, going home commuting by bus, the sights and smells all around, being able to eat a good meal every time—one that I didn’t buy from a fast food chain or one that didn’t come out of a plastic bag from a carinderia, spending time with my little nephews and nieces – being able to experience all these things tames me,  softens my heart, makes my eyes see that these things are actually the most important. 

And also, there’s nothing quite the same as re-learning to speak proper Kinaray-a. I am so proud of myself when friends from the city tell me that my Kinaray-a has become crispier! J I know, right? There’s nothing quite like it. I know I should at least write something in Kinaray-a in this entry, or, okay, at least in this blog, but speaking is quite different from writing. It’s actually one of my goals for the next year—be very fluent in Kinaray-a to actually write a whole short story using the language! As of now, it’s just one single poem. I know I shouldn’t dwell in little victories while there is still a whole kingdom to conquer, but I’m quite proud of this little poem (which I will post as a different entry). 

One other first that I experienced within the last four months is my first art exhibit! Can you believe it? My first art exhibit! It was actually an invitation extended by Nong Don, an INHS friend, who got invited by his artist friends to join this exhibit in UPV (Iloilo City) for the National Children’s Month. So, I joined. Despite the many hindrances and other conflicts that occurred at that time, almost prompting me to just ditch the idea, I managed to submit a watercolor painting I made of Jesse Emmanuel a.k.a. Panoynoy, one of my nephews. And so I was able to submit an artwork, and attend my first ever opening and meet my favorite Ilonggo artists in the process! I promise to post pictures of the exhibit as a different entry, promise.

Another thing is for the first time, I was able to organize and coordinate my first seminar-workshop, not in anything related to the English subject, not Creative Writing, not Journalism, nuh-uh, but guess which subject? This seminar I organized was for the Social Science Department. Unlike the art exhibit, this wasn’t met with any kind of resistance whatsoever, however, the days prior to it were just so filled to the brim with lots and lots of activities, exams, requirements and other personal distractions that I if I didn’t get a lot of support from my colleagues, supervisors, my invited speakers (Ma’am Van and Sir Donne!) and the students themselves, I’m sure I wouldn’t have been able to pull it off. 

Like the students, I’ve also learned a lot from this seminar, such as the importance of time, of money, of valuing the needs of everybody. I’ve also learned that if the river appears to be flowing smoothly, and the winds feel like they’re going the correct direction, go ahead and set sail. The Lord had His hand on this event, and it just needed unfolding by human hands.

So, there. So far, so good. Thank you. This sem break, I didn’t actually had real rest since I was still doing my grades, and financial reports, and other requirements for clearance and for the accreditation, but I’m happy in the belief that everything has a way of falling into place at the right time. I know people might say that I’m not really where I should be, or I can be somewhere better, but as of right now, like I mentioned somewhere above, I’m doing the best out of what is given me right at this moment.

Placid, tranquil, quiet, still. This describes the place (literally and figuratively) where I am now. And this is exactly where I want to be. I’m through being angry and restless and depressed and uncomfortable under my own skin. Right now, I’m happy letting things be. 

Lots of Positivity at Work (Around and Within Me)

One thing also of note that has been happening is how I felt so much at ease in the university. I’ve never had so many concerned yet non-intrusive colleagues. I’ve been dogged and nagged in about every school that I’ve ever taught and this here has been much of a reprieve. 

I love Calinognons! They don’t walk around with their noses in the air as much as city people and my fellow Lambunaonons do. They just are. They let things be while at the same time making sure to do what should be done in the best possible way. My co-teachers and the rest of the staff that I’ve gotten to know are just oozing with positivity.

Of course there is the usual shouting bout between some of them, but the teachers here easily reconcile with each other and the gossip vines have never really grown thick here as they have in say, Arts (INHS-SPA). As long as you are efficient in what you are supposed to do –teach properly and passionately, people here don’t really bother with other people’s private lives or whatnot.

Aside from the positivity, kindness floods here like the Ulian River almost overflowing during heavy rains. My co-teachers will go out of their way to help somebody in need, may it be monetary or something trivial such as lending people who’ve ruined their heels their own (this was Ma’am Jean, our school director, lending me her spare heels when the straps of mine quit on me one fine, normal, nothing-could-have-gone-wrong day).
Though there are I’m sure a few who are negative about things and life in general, I don’t want to highlight them, as I’ve already resigned myself not to have anything to do with negative things and people. I’ll just awe them with my positivity that they’ll have no choice but to smile and be cheery and look at the brighter side of things as I do! Chos. But really. According to my Social Dimensions book, one goal of education, of the school, of teachers, is to be “an agent of change.” So, that’s what I’ll do!

Me and the Ulian River. Again.

Okay, this has turned out kind of lengthier than anticipated, and also, I have to go somewhere, so until next entry!

No comments: